The Journey of a Lifetime

Ryan and I have decided to pursue our forth adoption and add another beautiful baby to our family. We couldn't be happier and are thrilled! Join us in our journey in adopting baby Schlenner!

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Happy Gotch'a Day Baby Ahnya!!!

One year ago today I walked into the orphanage in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and saw Ahnya Leigh Meretech for the first time. It seems like only yesterday that I saw her beautiful brown eyes, yet it seem like she's been in our family forever!

I'll never forget walking up the long flight of stairs to get to her nursery room one the third floor of the orphanage! My heart was beating so fast, I was instantly nervous and full of crazy feelings....I was so scared I wouldn't know which child she was. One of the nannies opened the door to the nursery and I looked around and saw a room full of beautiful babies! I quickly made one scan of the room as all the babies with their beautiful brown eyes starred at me and then I SAW her instantly! No doubt that I could pick her out! I remember quickly going to her and kneeling next to her as she was proped up and thinking...I am soooooooooo lucky......this can't be happening.....she was the sweetest, prettiest thing....I said some words to her making sure she wouldn't scream when I picked her up...and then I just scooped her up in my arms, smelled her intoxicating hair, and smooched her sweet baby cheeks and lips...and it was pure undeniable love!

Many emotions encompass the whole adoption experience and the one year anniversary is a time to reflect, be thankful, and think of Ethiopia. I'd travel a million miles over and over again for each of my children. They are so precious and Ryan and I are so blessed.

The last thing that I'll share is a piece of a note that I had Ahnya's birth mom write in my journal when we met in Hossana and I love it. It goes like this:

Dear Ahnya,
I am your birth mother. I can't care for you but I love you. Always know that I loved you more than warm sunshine, the sweetest milk, and honey.
Love, Terafech Admassu


Girls with Nana and Bumpa!

One year later and Ahnya our family is so unbelievably proud and humble by the experience.
Here's Kirsite, Ahnya and I on her Gotch'a Day eve. We celebrated at the Meyer's house for a family BBQ and it was a perfect evening.
Ryan, I and little Ms. Ahnya! Such a fun, sweet and loving baby girl!

No comments: